After that nice trip home, it was back to “reality” in the Dominican Republic. I had to teach right away Monday morning. It was a slightly crazy week!
When I was gone, two computer monitors got stolen from the computer lab. So, now, school is full of a bunch of key Nazi’s. On Monday, we couldn’t get into the teachers room until well after school had started. So, I had to teach my first couple classes with no books and no notes. Then, on Wednesday, the science lab was locked, and the keys were missing. So, I couldn’t teach chemistry lab that day since I didn’t have time to prepare anything before hand. Then, on Friday, they lost the one set of keys there are to the science lab/ ninth grade room, which made for another great day.
Everything else was pretty crazy too. I’m not sure what the deal with the kids was, but apparently it was national hit on Miss Scislow week. On Monday, Henry and German almost started a fight with another kid in my class because that student was “being mean” to me, and they “wouldn’t tolerate anyone being mean to their favorite teacher.” Later on, Juan gave me a hug and told me that he missed me tons when I was gone and was so glad I was back. Henry came running over to make sure Juan wasn’t being mean to his favorite teacher. (Juan is my self-declared favorite student.) On Thursday, the day before graders were due, I made some of my kids stay in from elective to work with me to finish some stuff up so they could pass. One ended up staying until almost 5:00, and then hung around until I had entered my grades so he could drive me home. On Friday, Alexandra, one of the pre-school teachers who had just had a baby, brought him in for everyone to see. I was holding him, and Jose told me I “looked very good holding that baby.” On Friday, I got whistled at very loudly and royally embarrassed at lunch. Then, I got invited to a party. I politely declined, giving my typical, “I can’t go to parties with students” answer, and then the, “I don’t go out with people I make call me Miss Scislow.” They told me I could just “happen” to run into them at this party, and then it would be ok, obviously. And I was like… “Uhh… still no!” They told me that I told them I couldn’t go to parties with them, and then pointed out saying that I never said I couldn’t leave parties with them. It was pretty funny! Then, I gave the eleventh graders a work day in math, and was walking around to see how they were doing. I asked Federico how he was doing, and he told me with a smile, “I was doing great until you came over.” Since I could tell he was joking, I pretended like I was really made and stomped away, and he jumped up and gave me a big hug making a big deal about how he would never say something like that for real. It was funny. Overall, it was a really long week since I was so tired from my crazy, un-relaxing trip home. But, it wasn’t too bad! Miss you all!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Let me just say, I love your attitude! Flying all over, dealing with these kids, adapting to whatever comes - through it all you sound so calm. We will keep your medical school interviews in prayer.
Post a Comment