Kids are crazy I've decided. Like, I knew that before, but seriously, they just get crazier every day it seems like! The past week and a half have been good for the most part though. Crazy nonetheless however.
So, last week, we are having a nice quiet biology class. The kids are being really good, they are taking notes, no one is hitting each other... And I turn to write stuff on the board because since for a lot of them, English is a second language, I help them out by putting all the notes on the board. I suddenly hear Sebastian angrily exclaim, "What the heck?!? TEACHER!" I turn around, and realize that Oasting, and an accomplice who I wasn't sure who it was, had taken Sebastian's entire desk when he got up to grab something and flipped it upside down. Deciding what they were going for was a reaction, I decided to completely ignore it. Sebastian eventually went and found another desk, and class continued smoothly. However, thinking it was quite amusing, it became a multiple choice answer on their biology test. In the middle of the test, Frankie jumps out of his desk and yells, "Miss Scislow! You put me on your test!!!" And I'm sitting there thinking..... "uhh.... no, I didn't...." And he's like, "You put on there were Oasting and I flipped Sebastian's desk over!!" I had put as an answer to nuclear membrane: "Miss Scislow's reaction when someone flips Sebastian's desk over." So, I guess I inadvertently discovered the other culprit. Haha!
Then, another day, I was doing a demonstration of diffusion, so I showed how red food coloring diffused through water, and then how molecules can diffuse through air. To show this, I sprayed my body spray in one corner of the room, and then had the students say when they could smell it so they could “see” it move across the room. Well, Marcel, as soon as he could smell it, loudly exclaimed, “Teacher! It smells like girl!!!” Then Juan decides to join in with, “Teacher, it smells like you!” Those boys!
In the Dominican, when they greet one another, they kind of half touch, half kiss cheeks. Well, my ninth grade boys love this way of greeting people, especially when those people are me. So, this morning, I was a little stressed, trying to figure out what to do about my pre-calc test since the copier was broken, attempting to re-print all my lesson plans for when the secretary of education comes, and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my ninth graders since I wasn’t supposed to really have them, but then ended up having “lab” with them even though the lab was not available because there is a book fair in the lab at the moment. So, I was a little stressed, walking around with a cup of coffee, when I turn the corner and almost crash into George, one of my ninth graders. So he’s like, “Good morning Miss Scislow!” And I try to smile and be cheerful because he’s genuinely happy to see me. So, I’m like, “good morning”, and he leans in to do the check greeting thing and almost spills my coffee in the process. But I manage to not get coffee all over everything as he plants a huge kiss on my cheek and says, “Miss Scislow, you have very soft skin.” Talk about awkward! Haha :) I’m getting used to awkward situations though, remember… So, at recess, Marcel comes up to me and says, “Teacher, I had a dream about you last night.” Oh, boy! Apparently, he had a dream that I was giving Juan (Marcel’s best friend and my self-declared favorite student) lots of presents because I liked him best, and he (Marcel) was very jealous. So, I guess now my kids are dreaming about me too?
Other than that, school has been going well. In eleventh grade, we are talking about evolution. It’s a little hard to teach considering I don’t believe it. I brought in some of my pictures from the Galapagos Islands, which the kids loved, even though they told me I look like I was about 18 in the pictures. (Little do they know, it was last summer, and I was actually 19 in the pictures…. Haha!) One of my kids asked why I majored in biology and not in Lutheranism if I didn’t believe in evolution, but other than that, it’s been going smoothly.
Twelfth grade is always interesting as well. The girls in that class are so sweet. We started an SAT prep elective class since they really don’t know what to expect from a standardized test, and they are very dedicated to working hard on that. If you’ve got any ideas on motivating some very unmotivated senior boys though, I’m all ears. I’ve got basically three and a half that are senior sliding really bad, and I’m not sure how to pull them out of it enough to make sure they will actually graduate in May. So, I’m open to any suggestions!
Hope all is well at home. I haven’t heard anything back from med schools yet, but hopefully good news will be coming in that way pretty soon. Let me know what you all are up to and what’s going on with you. I miss everyone! Lots of love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment