Friday, October 3, 2008

Reproduction: "is like that thing you do... you know..." (True biology test answer)

Once again, I don't think I'll ever have a dull week here! On Monday, I almost had to break up a fight. That was interesting. It was between class time, so the eleventh graders were out in the hallway getting their books, and one of them popped his head in the room and Jamie, one of my seniors, said something to him, but I wasn't really paying much attention because I was answering questions. And, all of the sudden, Federico (the 11th grader) slammed the door open into the wall as hard as he could, so I whipped around to see what was going on. Federico asks if I heard what Jamie called him, and I said I didn't, and calmly asked Federico to go back to his class. He proceeded to tell me what Jamie said, which was a very derogatory thing to say to someone, as Jamie just laughed and shrugged, confirming he had said it and telling me it was true. At this Federico started at Jamie and Jamie jumped out of his chair. I looked at Jamie and yelled for the first time I've actually yelled while teaching, "Sit back in that chair, right now!!!" Which, fortunately, he did. And then I grabbed Federico by the arm and dragged him out of the room. So, thank goodness, problem averted. Other than that, 12th grade has been a little frustrating this week. They were in a big huge fight over something, that I'm still not sure exactly what it was, but I didn't have a full class until yesterday because half of them were always pulled out trying to get their issues resolved. So, I think things are fine now.... Today went well with them. They worked hard on math. Henry told me at recess he hopes that some day he will date a woman that is just like me... Then proceeded to ask if I have any sisters... (Don't worry Kathryn and Jennie, I told him you were much too young for him and that we have a very mean brother. I'm glad for you Cute Lips!)

My eleventh graders have been really good lately. I really like that class of kids a lot. They are, for the most part, a hard-working, smart bunch of students. They are really fun to work with because they get really into learning and are super participative in class. This week I had them draw me picture of the processes of DNA replication and transcription and got great work from every one of them. I'm going to hang them up in their room. I really like teaching them math, because they get it, and they are my one class that doesn't really dislike math. There are a lot of kids that really enjoy math, so that makes it more fun to teach too. And kids like Federico really make teaching worth it. Apparently, he was just awful last year, causing all kinds of problem, failing classes, getting kicked out of class all the time.... And he got a 95% on our math test. The other teachers and I also picked him for the 11th grade student of the month for September. I don't think I've ever seen a kid as excited when he came and told me that (even though I already knew, which he didn't know). And the girls in that class are really fun to work with too. I can tell that they could get really catty with each other and with me, but they are really good. Jennifer is really smart and has been working really hard. Angela also really gets into math. And Nairamys who is terrible at math, puts in a lot of effort, and is great at biology. It's such a fun bunch.

Ninth grade has been really good for me this week too. I'm having a lot more fun with them. We played a review game in class on Wednesday, and they got so into it. It was pretty funny. I gave them a review guide for the test since we've been going over a lot of stuff and doing it since the beginning of the year, and amazingly, all but 1 turned it in completed before the test today. I was so proud of how they did on the test! 13 out of 24 scored above a 90%! Even George, my tongue ring boy, got a 90%, and I didn't think it was an easy test at all. I like to give them some silly question to get some easy points, and I give them a point for their name. It was pretty funny. Juan, after class, told me he knew he got at least one right because of his name, and I told him that I only would give points to the kids who didn't have dumb names. He looked at me completely shocked before realizing I was kidding. It was cute. (He didn't get his name wrong, and ended up with a 94%, so that's good.) He tells everyone he's my favorite student and that I'm his favorite teacher. Four of my girls asked me to eat lunch with them to help them study, and they pulled out 2 98% and 2 100% between them, so that was super nice too. So, just when you are fed up with them, they pull out a stellar test basically across the board, which is always nice.

This weekend I'm going to be doing lots of planning since I'm not going to be here Tuesday through Friday to teach. I think I'm going to the beach tomorrow though to relax a little before my crazy, hectic trip home. Keep my med school interviews in your prayers. I miss you all!

No comments: