I'm going to miss all the language goofs/ challenges from living here. I'm going to miss the winning money, throwing pictures, using goats to cheat on tests, exposing yourself comments that come from the differences between English and Spanish either due to false cognates (words that sound the same, but mean different things) or things that can translate or can't translate "correctly" from one language to another.
This might be one of my last language goof stories. Before the kids matematicas (Spanish math) final, Oasting came up and asked me, "Miss Scislow, do you have a transporter?" I kind of looked and him weird and was like, "Uhh.... a what?" "A transporter." All I could think of was like a time traveling machine or something out of Star Wars. So, I was like, "Umm.... no." His response, "What the heck?!?! You teach geometry!" By this point, I was thoroughly confused. So I was like, "Tell me one more time what you want." "Miss Scislow!" Oasting replied, "a transporter, you know, una transportador." Still thoroughly confused, I had to ask "What exactly does a 'transporter' do?" And he looked at me really funny and said, "You know, it's like one of those half circle like things that measures angles." Apparently, a "transportador" (which sounds an awful lot like transporter, so you can see why he'd translate it like that) is a protractor! Which I did have to lend to him for the test. And I learned a new word that I probably won't ever forget now out of the deal. Haha!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment