(I’m going to miss this so much!)
Alex told me, “Miss Scislow!!! I get my braces off today! I’m going to be a WAY better kisser now!”

So, I’ve written about Murphy before (my ninth graders imaginary friend). In class on Wednesday, Juan very seriously told me, “Miss Scislow, Murphy is real!” And I was like, “Sure, whatever, let’s review some chemistry.” Juan was like, “No, seriously! He’s REAL! Want to see a picture of him?” And I was like, “No… he ate my chalk.” Marcel laughed and corroborated Juan’s claim. Anyways, needless to say, I was a little confused, wondering if they were getting totally delusional. At this point, Juan whipped out his cell phone to ‘show me a picture of Murphy.’ Apparently, on Tuesday, Juan got a puppy… a cute little, tiny chihuahua puppy… and named it Murphy! So, now Murphy really IS real.
Spending any amount of time outside of the classroom with my ninth grade boys is interesting/ amusing. The other day, Oasting, Sebastian, Marcel, Alex, and Frankie were going at after school. They were trying to see who could come up with the best insults, and probably were going on for about 15 minutes. They got: “You’re so dumb you tried to alphabetize M&Ms.” “You are so ugly when you came out your mom said, ‘What a treasure’ and your dad said, ‘Can we go bury it?’” “You’re so ugly, you were in Star Wars and didn’t even need a costume.” “You’re so dumb you tripped over the cordless phone.” “You’re so fat, the only time you’ve seen 90210 is when you step on a scale.” “You’re so old, Jesus sat behind you in math class.”
One day, Micah and I were sitting in homework room today with Luis, our little 10th grade trouble maker who needs LOTS of help w/ math and science. I was correcting tests, and Micah was working with him on physics, and they are working on this problem where a guy is pulling on his dog’s leash at an angle with a certain amount of force. Because of the angles/ forces, it makes a triangle with x and y components to the force. So Micah's like, “Draw a picture, Luis.” So, I turn to look at this picture...... and Micah wants him to be drawing a triangle, right...... and he drew a dog. I kind of laughed and they realize Luis wrote MICA above the dog, which made me laugh even more. Micah was like, “Luis, Mickey is a mouse, not a dog. And that’s not you you spell it.” So, I realized Luis was trying to name the dog MICAH and whispered to him, to put an H on the end.... Micah laughed and was like, “Ok, just draw the triangle Luis.” So, then Luis draws the person that is pulling on the leash. And it's a stick person with long hair.... and he writes Miss Sisslow above it. So, Micah started getting a little annoyed, I kept correcting, and then Micah all of the sudden was like, "LUIS!!! Erase that picture RIGHT NOW and just draw the stupid triangle!" So, I ignored it and kept correcting when Micah yelled at him again to erase the picture. So, I turned around............ and Luis and drawn boobs on the stick figure that was supposed to be me. I think Micah just made him skip the problem after that.


My ninth grade chemistry tests actually went pretty well. For ninth grade, we have them split into two rooms. Micah was in the room that was almost done, and I was in the other room. Sebastian and Oasting were making jokes about each others' moms and about George's mom. They think this is really funny. Anyways, Oasting said something and Sebastian took a shoe box that was in the front of the room, chucked it at him, and hit him right in the head with it. So, Oasting jumped up and jumped to throw it back, and I was like, "Ok, ya, enough guys, keep working." Just as Oasting let go of the box (throwing it back at Sebastian), Miss Jennie walked in the room. Sebastian was sitting right by the door, so the shoe box Oasting had just thrown almost hit Jennie. It was actually kind of funny, but she was a little annoyed with them. So, she took Oasting and Sebastian's tests and handed them to me. And I was really confused because she didn't say anything. When she picked up Sebastian's test, his note card fell on the floor, so she started telling him he wasn't going to be able to finish the test because she thought it was a cheat sheet. Eventually she stopped grumping long enough for me to explain that I had give the kids all note cards and they were allowed to use them on the test. So, that calmed her down, and she left. So, I wasn't really sure what to do since I was standing there holding both boys tests. But she never really said they couldn't finish them.... So, I just gave them back because I didn’t know what else to do.
The other good test story is Jose. He really, really struggles with school, especially math and science. He's not a very good student, but he's not very smart either, which makes it hard for him. Well, going into the final, he had a 66% average, and I calculated out that he needed and 80% on the final to pass the year. So, I let him know, so he'd actually study for it, but I wasn't super optimistic because he's never gotten anywhere close to an 80% on one of my tests all year. Anyways, he stayed after school really late the two days before the test, we studied lots, he called our apartment like 4 times the night before the test with questions, so I knew he was studying... And he ended up get exactly an 80% on the test! I was SOOO happy for him! When I told him the next day he gave me the biggest hug ever, like a pick me up off my feet and spin around in a circle hug. It was really cute.
That test was pretty funny to correct. The last question, just to give easy points, was basically, "What did you learn in chemistry this year, and how might it be important in your life?" I got some pretty great responses:
Juan: "Murphy also learned a lot before he died and got inside my dog."

Doris: "The most important thing I learned is that Miss Scislow is the best teacher ever."
Sonia: "Chemistry is important because if a student fail the class, they are not going to college. They gonna live they're lifes like homeless people."

Nicole: "Chemistry was my favorite subject. It was really fun taking class with you miss! ... Even though when we talk a lot it seems like we don't care, but we DO!! Have a nice rest of your life."

Oasting: "It's also good because it makes you look smarter in front of people."

Sebastian: "Miss Lizzo is a great teacher!" (Jeremy, one of the 8th graders, always calls me Miss Lizzo, and Sebastian and Oasting think it's hilarious that he can't say Scislow -even though he speaks perfect English- so they started calling me Miss Lizzo half the time too. I think it's amusing.)

Rony: "I learned everything because I like this class."

Yang Gi: "I learned paying attentian in the classroom is important. Because if I payed attentian in the class I will learned much more but I didn't that's why I don't know that much if I payed attentian I would pass easyer. That is how and why I learned that in this semester."

Jose: "I like this class. Miss Scislow, she's the best teacher at school."

Priscila: "The best part of all that we had fun while learning this thing :)"

And the one that almost made me cry:
Alex: "My favorite thing about chemistry is my teacher because even when I don't believe in myself, she does and she'll do anything to help me reach success."

Anyways, needless to say, I’m going to miss these guys!
Here are my latest pictures:
Goes with the last blog entry about recent adventures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010670&id=88400178&l=5758abf9ba
Last week of school: I gave my kids my camera for the last like three days and told them to take pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010697&id=88400178&l=8052bd66f9
Graduation and Last Day:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010698&id=88400178&l=f9d81e6ab4

No comments:
Post a Comment