Well, my third day in the Dominican Republic was just as eventful as the first two. We only had one set of keys for all six of us, and you can't leave without keys because you have to unlock a padlock on the gate to get out. So, Danielle, Jackie, and I were leaving and unlocked the gate and Jackie went to throw the keys back up to Kaitlyn... Except Jackie had a very bad aim and threw them into the neighbors' porch below us... Whoops! Especially since the neighbors didn't answer when we knocked on their door. So, we decided all we could do was go to work and deal with it later. After an initial meeting, we had a "math and science meeting" with me, Jennie (our boss), Micah (the 6th grade and physics teacher), and Keith (the middle school math and science teacher). I was supposed to teach high school chemistry (three levels), algebra 1, and geometry. But when I got down here, she informed me that they didn't have anyone to teach the rest of high school math and biology, so we had to work stuff out. We did a lot of figuring out and this fall I will be teaching 9th and 11th grade biology, 10th grade geometry, 12th grade chemistry, 11th grade algebra 2, and 12th grade pre-calculus. In the spring I will teach, 9th grade chemistry, 11th grade chemistry, 9th and 10th grade geometry, 11th grade algebra 2, and 12thpre-calculus. Keith is taking 10th grade biology, and Micah is taking 9th grade algebra 1. So, instead of what I planned, I'm now teaching chemistry, biology, algebra 2, geometry, and pre-calc. So it will be a busy year! During our lunch hour, Jennie (boss lady) ran to our apartment since she and Raul have a spare set of keys and got ours back from our neighbor and then copied them so we each have our own set. This afternoon we went to Centro Leon which is supposedly one of the best museums in the country. We went to the Dominican Anthropology exhibit and the Dominican art exhibit and then saw cigar rollers. It was pretty interesting. We got back to our apartment and found out we don't have running water at the moment. So, that is slightly annoying.... But it's all part of the adventure!

Our Apartment Building

My bedroom

Our First Living Room

Patio off the first living room

On the patio

View out our window

Another view out our window

Our dining room table

Our kitchen

Our second living room

Our washing machine... Apparently it's a beast to use...
1 comment:
I love your apartment. A little stark in the living rooms but very nice and great views! Your class load scares me.
Post a Comment